"I Am Not a Writer."
This article has been inspired by one of my latest Instagram posts because as I began typing and went on a bit of a tangent (as per). Running out of space for what I really wanted to say, I opted to cut some elements out, deciding that they belonged here with you, the Equitas readers, #theequitasgeneration.
I’m going to give you a little backstory on my journey to becoming a “writer” and how, if I had let fear and the ever present “imposter syndrome” stay in control, I wouldn’t be in the position I am today.
Does life ever go the way we think?
As a teenager, visualising my future self, the picture was very different. However, there is one thing that has remained steadfast and that is the strong presence of horses. Call it stubborn, but I always knew that I would be working with horses. In what capacity?... well, that was the unknown.
It can be hard to deal with the curveballs life throws at us, especially those that are unjust. However, I am a firm believer that things will work themselves out eventually and that with each new spanner that gets thrown in the works, we have an opportunity to build something.
But how on earth did I end up here? A Co-Founder and Writer for a global positivity movement?
It began with a nudge from a coaching client and the Grassroots Gazette.
In November 2021, Gary Monaghan - yes, THE Gary -AKA the GRG Community Manager, who himself is such a genuinely inspiring man, sent me a link for the GRG Writer application. He said something along the lines of “You’d be great at this” and my response was a very non-committal “I’m flattered that you think I would be up to the task, but I am not a writer”.
While I had written some lengthy competition reports on Facebook and had started a little blog about my horses, it was just for me. My horse of 20 years had recently passed, and I found writing about her to be hugely cathartic. That subsequently led on to me writing about my other horses.
But of course, with self-doubt on a high, I sat on his recommendation and did nothing. I was not a writer.
After a few weeks, seeing The Grassroots Gazette online and getting to know what they stood for, I could clearly see that their ethos aligned with that of mine for Equicoach Online - to give people from all ages / levels more opportunities and support, thus improving the Equine Industry from the ground up. It was clear that The GRG were not there just to promote the top 10% of the sport - they were there to represent the other 90%. The everyday equestrian, whose love and passion for the sport are its backbone.
I re-examined the application form Gary sent and thought, what have I got to lose?! So, I took the chance, filled in my details, pressed send and immediately closed the laptop!
What followed was a request from Shane to have a chat over the phone. Again, I was nervous. I was expecting a typical formal interview type conversation. However, the relaxed nature of the phone call was a breath of fresh air and by the end of it, I was so inspired that I committed to writing a piece for Edition 2 there and then. I really wanted this. I wanted to reach more people. I wanted to help more horses. I wanted to be part of the Grassroots Movement.
On the day that Edition 2 was published…I was a ball of anxiety. I was proud to be involved and I was proud of what I had written but self-doubt and imposter syndrome were back…Who was I to write an article? And for it to be published, out there for the world to see? Sure, I’m not a writer.
The confidence that writing for the GRG gave me, led me to where I am right now, Co-Founder of Equitas and part of the most inspiring, powerful and uplifting community.
I learn so much on a daily basis from the people that embody Equitas - their drive, vision, support and their passion for change never cease to amaze me. And as Equitas grows, I too am growing. As a person. As a writer.
I have no degree in Literature or Journalism.
I did not enroll in any online “writers'' courses.
I didn’t even excel in English at school.
Yet here I am, a Writer.
I am a writer because I put my thoughts and feelings down on paper. I have something to say, and I want to share it. It is that simple. No frills. No big investments. Just me. And if people want to listen to what I have to say, well that’s up to them.
I hope that by sharing my journey to being a writer, I encourage those of you who find yourself thinking those same thoughts that I did, to take a chance. Don’t be on the outside looking in. Come join us.
We are equestrians. We are female equestrians. And we are the foundation of the equestrian industry.
THAT is what qualifies us to be here, using our voices… and becoming writers.
Sarah Elebert x